Wednesday 30 November 2011

To Market...

I was watching an older episode of River Cottage this evening and Hugh went to London, specifically this place.

According to the website it's London's most renowned market, and I say 'here here.' Places like Portobello Road or the smaller scale Broadway Market keep the competition healthy for 'London's most renowned market,' which I fully appreciate.

Today I stick with Borough (pronounced, correctly, like 'burra,' as opposed to me with 'burrow').

The Irish one and I would come here Saturday mornings with the Krazy American Couple. It was one hot tube ride away on the Northern Line.

During my first Thanksgiving in London at the flat on Eland Road I found comfort here. A little shop in the small alleyway connecting the 'big part' to the 'part with the umbrellas' sold a little piece of Turkey Day: turkey breast, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy on a french baguette. It was quickly dubbed the Thanksgiving Sandwich.  People would queue for this stuff, though the English tend to queue for most things. Despite selling beef and ham that looked equally as delectable, in 3 years I never touched anything but the Thanksgiving Sandwich. It was perfect at 10 a.m. on a foggy London morning.

So today I give thanks for Borough Market and all the memories: the Thanksgiving Sandwich, 3rd date with
MacBoyfriend (who had been in London for 4 years without frequenting Burrow, shameful), every out-of-town visitor, scallops with bacon and stir fry, and of course a number of delicious meals.

Cheers London....







1 comment:

  1. This really is entertaining. you are doing a nice job. Even if Dad and I remain your only fans, it's a good thing for you. Here's to church...Lovely pictures. you really are getting good. AND IV'E BEEN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete