Monday 5 December 2011

Debearding Dinner

Because today was more winter than summer, with intermittent rain and temperatures not above 17 deg (50's Fahrenheit?), we ate mussels with frites for dinner. It was my first stab at mussels and they turned out might fine.  There was some question as the stringy clumps of 'beard' came off with a small, white, slimy thing attached if I was debearing the mussels correctly. It seems to have worked. For these little gems of deliciousness, I was thankful two-fold: 1) They are brilliantly easy and 2) They were down-right delectable.

Think leeks, thyme, bay simmered in cider with a dab of wholegrain mustard. It's a River Cottage recipe, and as always, didn't fail to deliver.

(Pardon the food photography, I was WAY to lazy to break out the camera, so these are courtesy of MacBoyfriend's iPhone....I have a pic of the frites, but they don't look very photogenic...).


2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! They look terrific. It was technically not your virgin run, however. there were mussells in the boulliabase from Christmas Eve. Seems like last year, but it was actually two Christmases ago. I didn't know how good it had it in England, let alone Milwaukee.....
    Question... Why is McBoyfriend headless? McBabies weren't.... Love you much. Good for you, keeping this up. For me, it's a little, and interesting, daily chat. Loving it. You DO write well. Don't knmow if I count as objective, but it IS entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your blog and looking forward to your next post. Keep up the good thoughts!

    Jan Bratt

    ReplyDelete