Monday 6 February 2012

Southern Fried Chicken

Last week we were haning out with our neighbours (a Kiwi, Hong Kong-ian, and two of their friends), and they threw out the idea of having a revolving dinner. Since we have France, Sri Lanka, America, Hong Kong, Brazil, Tongan/Samoan represented in the complex, seemed a good idea.

Side Bar: This had been discussed previously when Kiwi had asked me around Thanksgiving last year if I would do a proper American Thanksgiving the following year. I couldn't resist that request.

Now, the Hong Kong-ian thought for the revolving dinner I should make Southern Fried Chicken. She seemed to think I could do this. When asked how she got this idea, she replied, 'something about your accent and Man vs Food.' So, apparently those of us from Chicago, because we're American, can make Southern Fried Chicken. MacBoyfriend is more than happy for me to practice on him. And it was really funny, so how can I resist!

In an effort to practice my southern cooking, we endeavoured to make ribs (with homemade BBQ sauce), baked beans and sweet tater mash. It was a total labour of love. When we were in the States in July 2010 my mom and I made BBQ sauce from scratch, and if memory serves it nearly killed us! But it was delicious. Same story this time around. So here it is, in all it's glory (I really must stop taking pictures on the iPhone, sorry for the blur, and you may have to twist a little as I can't get the ribs to rotate, but you get the point....)


No comments:

Post a Comment