Wednesday 7 November 2012

Land of the free, home of the Brave...Still...

It goes without saying that today was....


And the result was sweet, sweet democracy for another four years. 

I've written and erased about four versions of what I'm trying to say, the result is this: I love my country. I love the opportunities growing up in my country afforded me. I love the diversity that exists in such a large nation. I love that most people don't have passports, because two weeks is just enough time to pile the family in the mini-van and drive to Yellowstone. 

There are daily reminders for how incredibly lucky I am to have lived in not just one, but THREE very wealthy, healthy and safe nations. Most of them come from my clients, mostly fleeing their home countries in pursuit of something better. Many have faced persecution for their beliefs, without ever having done anything wrong. As an ex-colleague put it, in the welfare sector, when do you have a chance to work with single men that haven't committed an offense of some kind? Sadly, the answer is not often. I could go on, but can't imagine my employer would be too chuffed. I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this something better. 

In an attempt to educate myself further about Australian history, I am brushing up on my Aboriginal knowledge. For those of you interested, My Place by Sally Morgan is a good beginning. Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington was recommended by MacBoyfriend. These are both incredible Aboriginal stories born out of the European settlement of Australia. My Place made me teary-eyed on the train on more than one occasion, and Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence has taken me under three days to finish. 

Most of the times I fly home, I am greeted at customs with a 'welcome home.' And I'm not ashamed to say that this makes me a little nostalgic. For that passport that is stamped with enthusiasm at each border, I am incredibly thankful.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting program to listen to on Aboriginal matters:
    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/subjects/indigenous/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day, quite unexpectedly, you will walk out of customs at Sydney airport, see the "Welcome Home" , smile and say "Yes I am". It is a feeling or realisation that is difficult to explain

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I hope Pattie, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete